Thursday, February 12, 2009

Rocket on the launch pad


As some of you may know, we keep out Rocket on a modified HydroHoist in a slip. This allows us to "dry sail" the boat while keeping it in the water and avoid using any bottom paint. It is tied to the hoist with four dock lines. It turns some heads as the deck is some 8' above the dock!

In the two years we have been using this hoist, the boat has survived sustained winds of 60 mph and recent storm burst of 70 mph with no problems whatsoever. Every time a bad forecast is issued, the marina manager gets real sweaty and I cross fingers, knock on wood, throw salt over my shoulder, and say my prayers, but so far so good.

The floats can be stood on for any bottom maintenance, and it is quickly lowered with the turn of two valves. The hoist offers a great way to "dry sail" the boat.

1 comment:

Fred Chadsey said...

Jim, you're right the hydrohoist is the perfect answer. Unfortunately my Yacht club won't allow a hoist.

I've had 2 hydrohoist in the past; one for J24 and one for my Evelyn 32. When storms came up we always dropped the hoist and tied the boat off to the pier.

I priced one for Mobile Bay from the fabricator in Claremore Ok. they want over $7k installed. Too steep. However I wish I had one !!!