Monday, March 12, 2007

OD rules

I have gotten a lot of input with regards to the draft of the OD rules. Rather than put them in my words I will copy for you viewing and input. Read On and let me know your thoughts. Alan.

****************************

Thanks guys for finally getting a set of OD rules posted. I have a question about the sail portion. You mentioned that " 9.3 No sail shall have a hole or aperture other than the normal and attachment points." Does this mean that the next main I get I won't be able to put a reef in it? I'm planning on moving to Hawaii next summer and there are times when having one small reef makes all the difference.

Just thought I would ask. Just to let you know I'm having a blast on the water. The boat is in Shilshole with Jonathan and we are having a great time sailing. I'll be trying to figure out when I can get the boat up to the factory for the touch up/ new mast.

I'll chat with you guys later.

Jeff

****************************

Al,

Today I would have loved to have either another 250lb guy on board. With a constant 20kts of wind with gusts in the 25+ range either a reef or a combined crew weight of another 180+ lbs would have been nice. Which brings me to another part of the work in progress. " 12.1 Maximum crew weight shall be no greater than 700 lbs. The crew's torso must stay inside the lifelines.

So with the average guy being 180 lbs you'll top the weight limit by 20 lbs. And if I'm lucky enough to get a guy that's over 200 to come along on days like today what am I to do tell him he needs to diet? I'd be interested in what the other owners have to say about this. My thoughts would be to move it to somewhere between 750 and 850. With something about the same crew that starts the day needs to finish the day, or something of the sorts.

And something else that I would like to discuss with the other owners is the helmsman restriction. Some races it would be great to have the owner/skipper rule. But at other times it would be nice if you could swap it up and have someone like yourself down and at the helm.

Well I'm not sure how many other of the rocket owners have read the rules yet. I let Jonathan know about it and I'm hoping to discuss it with him tomorrow down at the boat.

Thanks for your time. Looking forward to seeing you down here with another boat.

Jeff (owner #1)

****************************

Alan,

Here are a few of my thoughts concerning OD class rules:

1. I am not too strong on owner-driver rules because I encourage my crew to learn all the positions on the boat, including driving. I maybe would suggest owner on board rule. What I do hate, however is when a boat discards their regular crew or driver in favor of a "pro" in order to win a particular regatta.

2. Limiting number of new sails per year purchased. no rule on material of sails,
3. rigid rules should be made concerning hull, keel, spar, and standing rigging modifications. Running rigging can be modified. Boat to be weighed at major regattas.

4. for major regattas, have to declare entire crew, so that there is no crew swapping depending on wind/weather

5. carry standard list of equipment including motor (minimum HP & amount of fuel), safety gear, number of sails, measurer's certificate for sails, weight, & equipment.

Jonathan (owner #8)

****************************

Howdy Gents -

So i was wondering about Rule 9.3 today. It came to mind as I was thinking about an a-kite retrieval system. Nearly all the systems I have seen would require holes to be added and reinforced in the kite. This rule would not allow this system to work. Is there a specific reason for this rule's inclusion?

Thoughts?

Also, I would like to start the process fo securing the PHRF certificate for the Chesapeake. Any chance you could forward the PHRF data you've used in other regions in order to make it easier to register?

Thanks!

kb

Kristen Berry

kristen@galeforcesailing.com

****************************

Cool.

Three notes so far:

1) The sail # thing. I've already changed mine to conform with local PHRF racing (7666) & ALL of my sails, including Jib have the # (Another local requirement). I suppose I could change back to 2203, but...

2) 700 lbs??? I thought that this was for people OVER 40!!! ;) Seriously, as I figure it, I either sail with 3 people or get a girl/ kid as the 4th hand. My crew, when sailing with 4, comes in at 750lbs, assuming 5 lbs of gear per crew member (and that I lose 5 lbs).

3) Why the requirement to carry hatch cover & drop board? While I'm at it, why the anchor? Lot's of weight there. Also, there are now 2.5 HP 4 stroke motors (a few lbs lighter). Do you feel they are too small?

Regrading your other questions:

a) Max crew Weight: See above. The fundemental question is do you want to encourage 3 or 4 person crews?

b) The boat is deliberately supplied with both options. My personal feeling is that each race/regatta should specify its choice (a) Also,

b) Symmetrical (Captain's choice). For now, we are ALL still exploring the options. It will be great to see what the other owners feel on this subject.

c) Ah, what the hell. We all want to go fast. If we can go faster by legs out, then so be it. Any other opinions?

d) Owner/Driver: I'd say "owner must be aboard", but can get someone else to drive "Non-Professional". I do think there should be a "professional" rule. Sorry, but I guess you, Ken & Don can't sail against us. Boo-Hoo. ;) If the owner is a clutz, then they pay the penalty in weight.

Those are my two-bits for now.

Cheers,

-Gray

1 comment:

Brian said...

I agree with the comment about the owner driver rule. My past practice has been to cycle all crew through all positions including helm to improve crew work and to give everybody the thrill of steering.

Agree that I would prefer to have a no professionals rule, but don't want to cut Alan & Co. off at the knees. How about no professionals except Rocket 22 factory reps? I don't know how big a problem this is going to be in the long haul with sail makers etc. and would rather give this some time to work itself out. It is always possiible to modify the rule later if we think the owners are being pushed out of the game.

On the weight issue, speaking as a lard arse, I am OK with the weight limit where it is because I am targeting an ideal crew size of 3, but I would not object to a slight increase to the 750 pound range, which equates to 3 people at 250 pound each (or 5 at 150), and if a skipper can get a bunch of light weights on board and wants to go that route fine, but speaking for myself I would like to keep crew numbers down. I don't want to get into the Melges weight management circus with trying to recruit a bunch of different crew for different conditions. It does not help build crew loyalty and is a management hassle. Same crew that starts the day finishes the day is a good rule to have.

If we are looking at a restriction on the number of sail purchases per season that can be made, barring catastrophic failure and replacement, as well as a crew weight restriction, then I think we have to include the ability to reef and reef points as permitted openings in the sail. This would also apply to a spinnaker retrieval system. The object is to go fast and have fun, and to some extent that has to involve making it easy as well, so I don't have a problem with that. On another point how many sails per sason should be permitted? 1? 2? more?

With respect to flying the Asso or the Sym, the boat gives you the option of either and I would like to keep it that way on all regattas: Skipper's choice and let the conditions and your best judgement dictate what you do.

With respect to having appropriate safety equipment, since everyone carries it in OD no one is anymore penalized than anyone else by having it, so I don't have any issue with this, given that the minimum anchor weight is provided for in the rules, along with the minimum rode length. On the offshore races the minimum equipment list required to enter is much linger than the OD list. While NOOD rules restrict entry size you may have a club that is a little more lenient, and so the minimum gear we require does not bother me.

With respect to the minimum equipment list, I would suggest that a minimum motor weight rather than HP should be suggested, since the possibility exists for lighter more powerful 2 strokes to be built.(see Evinrude Outboards web site with their e-tec developments.) For the same reason I would make the restriction one that requires compliance with EPA or local standards, not a ban on 2 strokes per se. I would note that the lake patrol that inspects for environmental compliance on Lake Tahoe is using Evinrude 2 strokes. I don't carry the torch for Evinrude, but think we need to be smart about the environmental issues and not reactive.