Monday, November 17, 2008

phrf

OK, here is my first post on this blog. Let's see how proficient I am at posting this. Doesn't look too hard.

I recently purchased Hull #5 and it was brought back from New York to the Northwest (Alan Barnes actually organized this and helped facilitate my purchase - thanks Alan) where I think it will be more appreciated. The boat was hardly used and I am happy to say it is in great shape. I need to update a few things that have worn out more through age than use. I'll have questions on that in a future post.

For now my question regards the boat's rating. I will be sailing mainly Kootenay Lake and Okanagan Lake in BC. I understand that PHRF BC mainly deals with ratings in this area of BC, but PHRF NW handles the rest of BC and the balance of the Northwest. Which PHRF do others use and why? Other than a small $9 difference in cost, should I register with one rather than the other? Will staying with one or the other preclude me from participating in specific regatta's?

Craig
Hull 5

1 comment:

Brian said...

Sorry, I can't help you on your handicap question. On the East coast they were using the Atlantic Speed Potential Handicap (ASPN)system rather than PHRF. Since it is the only jurisdiction in the world that still uses this system it finall donned on the Powers That Be that they weren't doing anybody any favours. This year they are switching to PHRF, but ratgher than reevaluating the boats under that system they are doing a "hard" calculation from one system to the other. My ASPN rating is 128. For those of you who think you have a tough rating, the NSYA has given the Rocket a PHRF handicap of 92.3, which makes it supposedly faster than a Melges 24 and a lot of other boats as well. I have been directed by the head of the handicap committee that I am forbidden from protesting that, by the way.